Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Roseville pottery

November 3, 2009

The whole point of visiting Zanesville was to pay homage to the Ohio region where American ceramics of the early and mid-20th century flourished.  My Ohio-born friend Mary Pat said that this region was a mere shell of its former self, but I chose not to listen to her warnings.  Wrong.

Despite the general malaise that hangs over Zanesville, its  Art Museum is filled with beautiful Roseville and Weller pottery pieces, many of which I lusted over.  Viewing these magificent pieces made me realize the vast difference between museum pieces and those listed on Ebay.  Oh well.

Although there's a lot of pottery stores in the area, the few I visited were filled with loathsome junk.  It was so depressing that I simply fled to Columbus, where I'm lodged in a sweet B&B in the heart of the Short North District, the center of the arts in Columbus.  Must be about a dozen galleries within walking distance, many of them specializing in crafts.  Nice.

Between Zanesville and Columbus I listened to "This American Life," Ira Glass's hilarious NPR program.  My friend Eric burned some CDs of this program for my listening enjoyment, and I thank him for that because this one made me laugh out loud. 

Whilst leaving Zanesville, I stopped to get gas and saw a sweet looking diner across the road, to which I repaired for an early lunch.  Only after I sat dow at the counter did I realize that this was not a real diner but a Denny's with a whole new look.  I studied the menu carefully, noting that the only unfried item on the menu was grilled tilapia, which I ordered.  Came with a bowl of chicken noodle soup.  Both the soup and the fish tasted like chemicals--very unpleasant.  Perhaps I'd have been better off with a burger and fries?  Heavy on the fat but maybe fewer chemicals?  Contrast the nasty soup and fish at lunch with dinner tonight at a sweet Greek taverna nearby.  The best bowl of avgolemono soup in months, and delicious salad.  Tasted like real food.  I felt something like a lab rat tasting franchise food and real food in one day.  Thank buddha for the latter.

Happy birthday BZ.

No comments:

Post a Comment