Monday, November 23, 2009

Zingerman's

Monday, November 23 2009




Now I can die happy.  For I have had a corned beef on rye sandwich at Zingerman's Delicatessan in Ann Arbor.  And the earth moved.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll bitch about institutions that don't update their websites. The Motown Museum was closed on Friday due to a party, but the website reported it is open on Mondays. However when I showed up this morning at 10, the sign said Open 10-5 Tuesday-Saturdays. Drat.

So I got to Ann Arbor earlier than anticipated, and used the time to visit Nicola’s Books, a large and inviting book store run by a woman who’s obviously a savvy retaier. The space is probably larger than the Bookloft, the Bookstore, and Water St Books combined and then some. All of this real estate allows her to feature books faceout on shelves and tables, enhancing book lust even when one knows better. I figure that such a store can exist in Borders’s home town only because Ann Arbor hosts a major university.

I met my former boss and his wife at their posh digs on E. Huron St (one of main drags), about 2 ½ blocks from the campus. They retired here almost 17 years ago, and have made a lovely life for themselves in this culturally rich community. We had a lovely lunch and long catch-up chat.  Very nice visiting with them.

We didn't have lunch at Zingerman's because it was beyond mobbed when we arrived, but later in the afternoon I cased the joint.  Who knew it was so small? From avidly reading their catalogue over the years, I imagined it to be huge, perhaps the size of the Fairways on 73rd in the old days. But no. The place is tiny.  (See pix above)   But it’s packed. I mean really packed. There’s dozens of beautiful olive oils and perfumed vinegars, along with thousands of jars and boxes and bags of marinated peppers, olives, jams, peanut butters, nuts, rice, beans, pasta, licorice, teas, coffees, biscuits…my mind went numb from sensory overload.

And that's not even icluding the breads, and cheese, and deli goods.  I counted 14 varieties of olives in the deli case.  OMG.  I returned later to have dinner there (the aforemetioned corned beef sandwich), where one eats at "Next Door," a somewhat large space so folks can "eat in."  I forgot to mention that the pickles made me want to cry. 

Despite the Motown disappointment, an altogether lovely day.

3 comments:

  1. I remember Zingerman's being very cozy and always jam packed with hungry people who knew how to eat well. According to my friend here in town who is from Michigan, he says that no in Chicago makes deli like they do in Ann Arbor or NYC. Who knew?
    Where's the photo of the corned beef sandwich on rye? We need to see this one.. It will stike a good balance b/t all the art, museums, exterior structures, architecture etc.. How about you return tomorrow, order another and snap a photo. Who knows when you will be back to have a 2nd sandwich. Better have another tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, I'm in St. Louis and can't easily return for another corned beef sandwich, much as I'd really really like to do! As for your friend's view of Zingerman's as a deli, I suspect she's right. I'm not sure even NYC can outdo the place. It is truly sui generis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Between you at Zingerman's & Nancy Fitzpatrick's photos of Russ & Daughters on FB I am feeling Jewish Food Envy. I take delight in your deli delight.

    ReplyDelete