Sunday, November 8, 2009

Madison IN -- quintessential small town America



Sunday November 8 2009

If you want to revisit small town America, drive over to Madison, Indiana, straddling Kentucky along the banks of the Ohio River.  It's the perfect movie set for an all but vanished America.  Not a big box store or franchise in town.  What a vision!  There are at least two local chocolate shops, several local ice cream stores, plus various and sundry diners, cafes and coffee shops.  Must be at least a dozen antique stores and a real book store. 

"Some Came Running" (once my all-time favorite movie) was shot here, and I want to rent it when I return to see if I recogize it.  Madison was settled in the 1820s, enjoyed a brief heydey as a stop along the Ohio River, and then went into decline.  It was so neglected that no one bothered to fix up the old buildings until about a decade ago when people began to realize the treasure they had.  I drove around today admiring the lovely residential neighborhoods, the well laid out river walk, and the small town ambience.  I enjoyed the day, but I wouldn't want to live here.

Driving here from Cincinnati took me through a bit of Kentucky, where there's legalized gambling and the state speed limit is 70 m.p.h.  I sure liked that!

2 comments:

  1. Laury--
    Curious as to why you concluded you wouldn't want to live in Madison?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could, though, own lots of buildings and property there, compared to the property/land values here.... A land baroness! Think of the potential.

    ReplyDelete