Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dale Chihiuly in Columbus



November 4, 2009

The Columbus Art Museum has a Chihuily display up that's very razzly-dazzly, as you can see from the pix on the right.  All the galleries (i.e., 3) are darkly lit, which made the glass more striking.  Also up on the wall are displays of his collection of Indian baskets mixed in with glass inspired by same (see left pix), and a large wall of his collection of Indian blankets, again to remind us of his inspiration.  There were lots of students roaming about and almost as many docents trying to explain all this to them.  I just liked looking.

The art musuem doesn't seem to have much in the way of a permanent collection, so I was lucky the exhibition was fun.  From there to the Wexner Center for the Arts, which was a serious disappointment.  I revived myself by visiting North Market, a splendid old building housing perhaps two dozen or more food stalls, such as bakeries, meat market, fish market, wine shops, and many prepared foods that looked pretty tasty.  During the "season," a lot of vendors set up outside and it's supposed to be quite the happening place.  It was far more interesting and cheerful than the West Side Market that was such a disappointment in Cleveland.

Melody Gonzalez.  Say the name out loud and it sings.  She's the woman I met at breakfast this morning at the 50 Lincoln BandB.  She's an organizer with Fair Food Across the Borders, a group that tries to protect migrant Mexican agricultural workers.  She spoke at OSU yesterday, which had brought her to Columbus.  She gave me two DVDs her organization has made which I hope to watch soon.  Their office is in Chicago and I may just have to visit them in December.  FFAB is the group responsible for Taco Bell's decision not to buy tomatoes from certain purveyors in Florida because they used 5-year old children to harvest  I remember reading about that.  Seems like a very small victory in a very big fight, but it's something positive.  I was quite inspired by her and I love the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment