Thursday, October 29, 2009

Selinsgrove PA



October 28, 2009

Day One of the Adventure ended in Selinsgrove PA at my friends' Dave and Joanne Wilson's home.  The drive from Monterey to Selinsgrove was Very Stormy.  Little visiblity and much anxiety.  All part of the adventure, I reminded myself.  Along the way I fell hard for NPR, which I get on satellite radio.  What a great way to pass the time!

As the pix above shows, Dave and Joanne and I were joined by our friend John Mathias for dinner at Elizabeth's, a long-time favorite restaurant in Lewisburg.  John's wife Sue was out in Seattle babysitting 4-year old Bobby and 18-month old Margaret.  We missed her.

Joanne and Dave have been members of the Susquehanna Valley Chorale and Orchestra for the last six-seven years.  Their latest appearace was October 9 when they performed in the premier of "A Monument to Memory,"music based on stories of Alzheimer's victims and their families.  The Wilsons said the first time the chorale went through the piece, everyone broke down in tears.  I wish I'd heard it.

John Mathias, a longtime entrepreneur and do-gooder in Lewisburg, is now one of three Union County (PA) commissioners, a job he's enjoying enormously.  It was a lot of fun to hear him so energized about local government and business.

Dinner at Elizabeth's was even better than I remembered from years past.  The miso glazed scallops over potatoes mashed with edamame beans was thrilling.  The portions were so large that we all skipped dessert, a rarity in my dining experience.

The bad news--that damned GPS doesn't work. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I stumbled on your blog by accident--Google Alerts picked up your reference to Selinsgrove, where I work. But it's a small world. My brother-in-law lives in Monterey MA and is visiting in Lewisburg PA this weekend. And we know some of the same people. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete